Michael Mitchell, OMM, CD, MA*, is an award-winning singer, songwriter and storyteller. On a mission to stir up a love of Canada in the hearts and minds of all, his songs and stories of our history, geography and some of the wacky oddities that entertain as well as educate.
Michael has performed over 5,000 live shows in every corner of this land, and travelled by train, float plane and even dog sled to perform at schools, fairs, festivals, and conventions. He now performs his shows via live stream right into classrooms anywhere, anytime.
He is the former co-host of the CTV children’s program Story Time, and has also written and recorded songs for Sesame Street and PBS.
*OMM = Officer of the Order of Military Merit, CD = Canadian Forces Decoration, MA = Master of Arts in Conflict Analysis and Management
- Is one of the most in-demand school performers in Canada.
- Has recorded six albums.
- His song, “Little Trees” was selected by UNESCO to be a feature song in the Billion Tree Campaign which is part of the United Nations Environment Programme.
- Performed the soundtrack for the PBS historical special Buried in Ice — The Franklin Expedition.
- Has been nominated for both West Coast Music, and Independent Music Awards.
- Received an Our Choice award from the Canadian Children’s Book Centre.
- Spent 18 years as an army officer with the Canadian Armed Forces.
- Major Michael Mitchell was recognized by the Governor-General for outstanding military achievement as an officer of the Canadian Forces when he was invested as an Officer of the Order Military Merit in May 1993. This is one of the highest honours a soldier can receive.
- Was an Associate Faculty member at Royal Roads University in Victoria, where he worked as a thesis supervisor and thesis committee member for graduate students in the field of Human Security and Peacebuilding.
What a terrific repertoire of all things CanadianOwl Magazine
The way you share Canada’s history through song and storytelling really captivates our future generations. Please come and visit us again soon!Chris Yuen, Principal, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Kamloops, BC
Wonderful!St. Andrew’s School, High Prairie, Alberta
A high-quality performance with plenty of curriculum relevance for students and teachers. The students were delighted with the show, as were the staff.McCurdy Public School, Huron County, Ontario
I wish my mom could be here because it’s so awesome and she’d definitely like it. I learned some things I didn’t know. He makes us excited about Canada.Starleena,Grade 3, Ontario
At a time when Canadians are trying to defgine their identity, Michael Mitchell is an excellent musical ambassador to proclaim the richness of our humanity, heritage, history and hopes as a strong nation.CBC Radio
I’m OLD, but felt like a child at your concert. It was great.Attendee – Innisfail (Alberta) Community Concert